New Ecology, Inc. is seeking candidates for the position of HERS Rater Trainee in its Wilmington office.
The HERS Rater Trainee is part of a growing team in the Mid-Atlantic that provides green building services for a variety of new construction and existing buildings, and provides field verifications and inspections for HERS, Passive House, Energy Star and other high-performance building rating systems.
This position is part of an organization-wide technical services team with expertise in HERS and other rating systems, energy modeling, construction inspections, site verifications, and energy auditing. This largely field-based position inspects and tests buildings to make them more energy efficient and help them become certified as green buildings. It is part of a technical services team that works with building owners and developers to build and renovate healthy and energy efficient buildings that are high performance, healthy and better adapted to a changing climate.
This is a unique opportunity for someone with a background in construction and/or building maintenance to move into this fast-growing field. You will work collaboratively with our team of experts and receive extensive training enabling you to become a certified HERS (Home Energy Rating System) Rater.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Conducting inspections of job sites to evaluate buildings for energy efficiency, and for compliance with HERS and other rating systems;
• Performing field tests, such as blower door and duct blaster testing, at rough and final construction for program compliance;
• Preparing HERS energy models for multifamily buildings;
• Drafting reports that accurately communicate the results of field testing, and clearly outline any deficiencies or non-compliance on site;
• Creating, organizing, and maintaining all construction documentation needed for program certification or review by a third party;
• Regular travel to job sites and meetings throughout the Mid-Atlantic is expected;
• Providing formal and informal trainings of sub/contractors to help them achieve certifications and construct better buildings.
New Ecology seeks to hire staff who want to learn on the job and better understand how buildings operate, and who want to apply this understanding to improve buildings. Candidates should possess:
• 2 to 3 years of construction or building maintenance experience, or a relevant technical degree.
Familiarity with reading plans and specifications a plus;
• Strong writing and verbal communications skills;
• Computer experience that shows an ability to learn new programs; experience with modeling software or building design programs a plus;
• Demonstrated ability to work on teams and to complete tasks on time and with high quality;
• Curiosity and enthusiasm related to efficiency and green buildings;
• Certifications such as PHIUS+ Verifier, LEED Green Rater, or BPI Multifamily Building Analyst a plus;
• Valid driver’s license and physical ability to inspect all aspects of buildings.
• Full time, exempt, preferred. Regular travel to job sites from DC to Philadelphia and South NJ; periodic travel to Massachusetts.
Salary and Benefits
• Competitive salaries with excellent benefits
• Collaborative and supportive work environment
• Professional development is a priority. Financial assistance for training and certifications
Email your resume and a thoughtful cover letter explaining why you would be a good fit for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to put ‘HERS Rater Trainee – Wilmington DE’ in the subject line.
NEI is committed to developing a diverse staff. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.